Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Webcams to Fight Corruption

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/07/18/business/global/in-india-an-official-puts-a-webcam-in-office.html?_r=1&ref=technology

Corruption has become a huge problem in governments all across the world. However, in India, politicians are starting to fight against it, and not in the ways you might think. Oommen Chandy, the chief minister of Kerala, started putting a webcam in his office, and streaming the footage to a public website. This is because, to fight corruption, he says, "The people must know everything."

I think this is a great step to take in fighting corruption in any environment, and could probably end up being more effective in preventing shady office deals than going after the people directly. However, it doesn't prevent underhanded dealings from going on outside of an office, so its effectiveness is limited. Additionally, there's no telling how people and politicians in other countries would react to something like this. In the US, for example, I personally think very few politicians would agree to something like this (not to say all US politicians are corrupt, just sort of paranoid). The people, on the other hand, would be very interested in it. I know I would. What do you all think about something like this?

The author wrote this article very much in a sort of "here have some facts, and some more facts". I don't think he was trying very hard to persuade, but I don't really feel like this sort of thing would be something you'd need to be persuaded about. It is, in essence, just a news report, albeit a thought provoking one.

2 comments:

Sarah C. said...

I definitely agree that the author was just stating the facts, and not trying to persuade, but the author was also trying to be fair and balanced by giving both sides of the story. They point out that India is "beset by kickback scandals", while also pointing out that "if people are intent on paying bribes, they could probably still do it outside the office."

I also agree that having webcams for transparency is an important step in the right direction, and that at the same time, people always find a way around the rules. If people want something they always find a way to get it, and the webcams make things harder, rather than completely stopping the corruption.
I think it would have similar effects in the US, because politicians would do anything to look good, while still getting what they want.

Isabella Brennan said...

I agree with your belief that all in all the shady business deals, and such, will still occur. A person only does so much in an office. In a way having a webcam is just providing the public with a false sense of security. But, honestly, it’s a really smart move for a political to make. By having a webcam he has daily contact with the people without having to go out of his way to meet them. Also it gives him the appearance of a people’s man, someone who just wants a clean government.

Blog Archive