Sunday, July 31, 2011

On The Road- Jack Kerouac (Post 1)

1.) What is your impression as Sal as a narrator? Reliable? Unreliable? Explain and cite the text for support.

While reading this book, I began to like the narrator more and more. Maybe it was because of his interesting language or honest options. Either way, i really enjoyed him as a writer. There were many times while reading, where i found myself pulling out sticking notes to comment on his word language or the different ways he used to explain himself. "I saw what a whore she was...She walked on little whore-feet and got in the Cadillac and off they went." (p.273) With this, Sal feels a certain way and isn't afraid to express his feelings. With that being said, I definitely seen the author as reliable and realistic. One of the things I liked the most was that he was so unpredictable, but yet I knew how certain events would turn out and how he would react to them, which made it believable to me. Moreover, the sexual and dirty language he sometimes used, made it as if he was writing a diary about his life, and we the readers, were sneaking to read it. But more importantly, it wasn't him simply writing down what he experienced, it was more of a reenactment of his adventures in words. In my opinion, the author did a great job in writing this novel.

1 comment:

Cortney Giles said...

i could agree with you. As i was reading i could automatically see who he was and what were his vulnerabi.lities. I enjoyed his writing style because it was honest and almost as if he took a picture of each moment in his life and someone went browsing through them while he explained each photo. Im not sure if that made sense (lol) but thats how i viewed it. I didnt find him reliable for the simple fact that he already felt as if everything was dead so his search would be for things that made him feel like he was filled with life. those things could possibly be dangerous.

Blog Archive