Friday, July 1, 2011

New Policy Could Ease Sentencing for Crack Cases

The title first made me think OH NO, just because I didnt know what "Ease" meant or what the "New Policy" entailed.

"The United States Sentencing Commission, (I like this part) voted unanimously to apply a new law that brings penalties for crack/cocaine offenses more closely in line with those for powder cocaine." Immediately I thought Why. they say that the penalties for crack are much greater than cocaine "calling the difference between crack and powder "cultural" not "chemical."

After reading that I thought; why not both penalties be the same? Why lessen them; sending the message that it's not that bad. But as i continued, i read that what is now the old policy placed a heavier penalty on minorities and poor. " A civilized society doesnt mete out punishment based on a defendants culture or skin color."

While i see the logic; the sentencing disparity was large and they didnt want it to seem as though the penalties were harsher on minorities and poor so they brought the penalties for crack cocaine more closely with those of powder cocaine. But doesnt that send the same message?

Wont it still perpetuate the smae genralization they were trying to avoid? It will still produce the same outcome; minorities and the poor will still be subject to the majority of convictions in the dealing and purchasing of crack cocaine. Now the disparity just wont seem as bad.

No comments:

Blog Archive