Monday, July 18, 2011

(On The Road by Jack Kerouac and The Road Cormac McCarthy) Question # 4 :

On The Road by Jack Kerouac and The Road Cormac McCarthy, woman have shown up through out the novels. In the novel On The Road by Jack Kerouac woman are displayed as whore's, or the most prettiest beings the main character Sal has ever seen. For example with Terry in Part One Chapter 13.When Sal first spots Terry he is suppose to be going home, but he is overwhelmed by her beauty that he admittedly falls in love with her. Terry was one of the few woman in the novel to be a pretty young woman instead of just a whore. Sal even says to himself, "I saw the cutest little Mexican girl... A pain stabbed my heart, as it did every time I saw a girl I loved (On The Road, 81)." Basically soon after Terry became one of Sal's love interest. Instead of like at the end of the book in Mexico, where Sal, Dean, and two others went to a club where they ran up a bill of 300 passo's just to have sex with any woman. Basically with in this (generation) novel many woman where whore's to most men, except for a selected few.

In the novel The Road Cormac McCarthy, woman were displayed as almost cold-hearted. I say this because the one woman talked about in the novel, was the wife of the father and the mother of the son. What she does is leaves them behind so she can die instead of sticking by their side. The father tries his hardest to make her stay, but she doesn't care. She had no faith nor a heart to stick around to help her son. The father and mother even have a conversation to make her stay, "For the love of God woman, What am I going to tell him?
I can't help you...
He stood up. I'm begging you, he said.
No. I will not. I cannot (The Road, 58)." Which basically shows how much she cares about her family, she's a heartless person who only cares about herself so much so that she is set on dying. She even says, "I don't care. Its meaningless. You can think of me as a faithless slut if you like. I've taken a new lover. He can give me what you can not (The Road, 56-57)."

In both novels woman are whore's or sluts in some type of way, as well as those who can be heartless.

PS. Sorry if there is anything wrong, I did this from my phone.

4 comments:

Ms. Johnston said...

ummmm....could you define whores?

Ms. Johnston said...

and is the term whore yours or authors'?

Janett said...

In On The road by Jack Kerouac i completely agree. Sal seemed to think that women were only good for sex. Then they can be left like they were trash. I have always hated this. It’s nothing significant to them. They have fun with a woman and then dump them. Not even considering their feelings. This novel showed how heartless men can be when it comes down to having intimate relationships.

Maya Wilson said...

Whore aka slut, in a way. They're basicay the same. Just a woman who doesn't respect her self. And just goes around with every male that comes her way.
And I'm pretty sure I'm the one using the word Whore, not the author. All though the author talks about woman in a Whory (not a word. Haha) like context.

And yes Janett I do agree with you, and it seems like that hasn't ever changed, even today.

Blog Archive