When I saw the title of this article, I immediately doubted that I would find it at all interesting. It sounded like an article that someone would write simply for lack of anything more interesting to talk about.
After reading the article, I am astounded at how little I learned from it. The piece discussed the possibility that the emotional and developmental benefits of "dangerous" playgrounds outweigh the safety risks. The author argued that studies have shown that children who grow up playing on "safer" playgrounds don't develop the ability to take risks and face challenges in life. He argues that children who play on more dangerous jungle gyms are shown to be more mentally healthy and confident later in life.
In my opinion, this is an issue that is not worth arguing over, and certainly not worth writing a lengthy article about. I was not particularly swayed one way or another from reading this article, mainly because of the fact that if the type of playground a child grows up playing on has such an impact on their life, there are probably some more serious underlying issues.
This problem is what I would call a first world problem, and it's something that in the long run shouldn't produce huge character flaws in people as adults.
3 comments:
I respect your opinion but in my opinion i believe that this is an issues worth taking effort into researching and looking at.. although i believe this argument isnt worth arguing over i do believe it will make an impact on the children of the world. If a "dangerous" playground will make an impact on the childs life of how risky they will be then i feel that it's an important development in the child's life. without taking risk how will the child be able to preform his life to the fullest potential?
I agree with your opinion that the article is sort of useless. The author never gave specific proof to back up the view he was talking about. He never backed up his theory with an example of a survey. Also can you really define what a risk is? I mean a risk for me might not be a risk for someone else.
I also agree that article doesn't really show any proof that states that playgrounds can be to safe. Because he doesn't show it with any scientific proof,that back up his theory or opinion.
Post a Comment