Before reading this article, my perspective of Facebook was limited to use as a social networking site. However, after reading this article, and hearing about how it was used in Egypt and Tunisia for the rebellions, I am starting to think of it as much more. The article talks about a Facebook page set up by a former Israeli diplomat, whose purpose is to bridge the gap between Israelis and Palestinians. It gives the two groups a chance to actually interact with each other, something they have been able to do less and less throughout the conflict. I now see Facebook as a way for people to make peace, bridge gaps, and just generally work towards a common goal.
In the article, it seems to me as though the author's choice of facts speak for themselves. In other words, what the author was talking about did the persuading for him. Simply talking about what this page is doing challenged my beliefs without the author having to directly (or indirectly) say anything. I think the author was trying to get this out to as many people as possible, as the language was simple, concise, and descriptive. It was easy and compelling to read about, and not just because of the author's writing. Reading about a positive use for something as common as Facebook is, to me, an incredibly interesting thing to read about.
1 comment:
It's kind of cool how choosing the perfect facts can make persuading people infinitely easier. I guess that's a skill that journalists should probably have. haha
I'm glad you posted about this because it never really dawned on me that facebook could be used this way. In my head, it's just the easiest way to make plans with friends and the fastest way to find out things about people that you probably shouldn't know. It's kind of a shame that it isn't used more often for things like this.
Post a Comment