Sunday, July 24, 2011

After Long Wait, Same-Sex Couples Marry in New York

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/07/25/nyregion/after-long-wait-same-sex-couples-marry-in-new-york.html?hp
Same sex marriages had always been a very controversial issue. Those with very strong religious beliefare against it while others say probably say "Go for it". Before reading this article, my stance on same sex marrages was very shakey. Im not gay and thats that the type of lifestyle I would want to live and I don't think that people of the same sex should really be together. But then again, other peoples relationships have nothing to do with me so whatever others chose to do in thier personal lives is their prerogative. The author definately challanged my thinking. This article didn't so much address the fact that gays chose to get married but whether or not the public should feel good about it. After reading this article about New York finally legalizing same sex marriages, something dawned on me. If you have a connection with someone of your sex and would like to get married, why not? Why be unhappy because of someone elses beliefs? I wouldn't say I support the gay lifestyle, but I am in support of other peoples happiness. If being with someone of the same gender feels right to you and makes you happy, then I dont see why it should be an issue to anyone else.

2 comments:

Brad said...

I come from a family with strong religous veiws. However I do not always agree with them because of some of the set principles they follow, I do not neccessarily agree with. More specifically towards the marriage between the same sex. In many peoples' minds the union between a man and a women should remain this way and this way only. I disagree because this is only a fraction of what peoples' definition of happiness is. If men or women of the same sex want to spend their lives together, who are we, to deprive them of this happiness. Also, why should it be any of your buisness to question who they should and should not love. The people who do not agree with this have no right. I feel that if someone has a strong connection with someone they truly love, then it should not be a problem. I personally feel that a man and women should be together; but keep in mind: I am not everyone. Everyone is definitely not the same and some poeple need to realize this. You may be gay or you may be straight but its for you to decide what you are not everyone else around you. I know it may be a cliche but until it resonates with people it needs to be repeated

Henry said...

You have no idea how much it fills my heart with joy to hear you two talking about gay marriage like this. You've hit upon the crucial and ultimately final idea that's currently surrounding the gay marriage debate: one doesn't have to actively support the concept of homosexuality, as long as one doesn't actively fight the right of gay people to marry.

You're both so inspiringly enlightened on this subject. Thank you.

Blog Archive