Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Drought Spreads Pain from Florida to Arizona

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/07/12/us/12drought.html?pagewanted=1&ref=general&src=me
I'm sure we all have heard, and even noticed that each summer has gotten hotter and hotter, many say due to global warming. Whatever the cause is, the heat and drought is having a strong affect in the South. Many crops are becoming bare and unhealthy. With this, many animals have nothing to eat and food cannot be grown in the hard soil. As we would expect, many farmers are becoming very anger at what is happening to their crops and try their best to repair it. Spreading across 14 states, from Florida, this crucial problem is extremely hard to get over and it is said that even if the weather patterns shift, they will still be in great loss. Surprisingly, this is said to be similar to weather conditions in the 1950s but even worse. In addition, many wildfires and tornadoes have been occurring in response to the tremendous growth in heat. If global warming is the cause of the heat, we need to work toward making our earth a safe environment, because if we don't, who will? Seeming we are the cause of , it is our duty to change this, because we are the only ones who can. If we don't stand up and take option, we will begin to loss a lot of our foods, such as fruits and vegetables, and we would also be killing a lot of the animals. After reading this article, I began to think about the writers purpose in making me realize how we are damaging the earth in reality, and the things I can do to change what is happening in our world today.

1 comment:

Lexy said...

As soon as I saw this title, I knew I wanted to respond to it. I'm currently in Texas now, and nearly everyday I hear people complaining about the drought. To me, It didn't seem that big of a deal. I'm used to seeing dead, yellow grass on all neighbors lawns, but this year I was informed just how serious it got: Residential fireworks are banned, and those who disobey that face penalties, one of which is jail time. That, in combination with all the projected losses and mentioned natural disasters from the article are really frightening to me. And if we are the cause to all this self-harm, that's even worse. I totally support all actions that do their best to reverse the effects of global warming. Regardless if the damage to the planet is our fault or not, we are the ones who in charge of taking of it now

Blog Archive