Thursday, July 21, 2011

On The Road - Jack Kerouac Question 3

I believe that Allen Ginsberg had a very strong point. Not only is Kerouac's writing hard to follow but also having it that provocative was a very big thing for that time period, having so much actual language and showing the world for how it really was and is. Talking about sex, drugs, violence and using terms like "fucked" was so profound for writing. No one wrote like that. Ginsberg was probably scared for himself and for Kerouac knowing that they both were most likely going to get more problems than less for writing and publishing this book. Writing about americans and their youth how they really are was absolutely insane. I think it's very brave what Kerouac did and that this book changed the form of literature, how it's written, what it's written about, and how much people actually say about the real world forever.

6 comments:

Ms. Johnston said...

hey Jourden--give me the page number or general scene where Kerouac uses the word "fucked". I must have missed that.

Jourden said...

Well I got a different version it's apparently the first draft he wrote. In my book it's page 110 but it's only the second page of the actual book. The quote it, "Louanne was jumping off quickly from the bed; apparently he was fucking with her. he always was doing so."

Ms. Johnston said...

OH!! haha...yes, there are many versions. Maybe he took Ginsgerg's advice--more likely his publisher's.

Jourden said...

Probably. Should I keep reading the one I'm reading now or the one that was published. The more "clean" version.

Ms. Johnston said...

Do as you like--but I think it would be very interesting to look at the differences between his drafts in class. (Some students need evidence that even published writing needs revision.)

Ashleee E. ! said...

I also agree with the idea that Kerouac was very brave with writing the book the way he did. I think I speak for everyone saying the honest, dirty language he used gave the book the edge and appeal it needed to want the readers to continue exploring the book. He uses many different styles of writing to get what he is trying to say out. But I believe his overall technique was basically nonchalant and careless, which made it even more attracting to me.

Blog Archive