Monday, July 25, 2011

Chinese Government Tightens Up It's Internet Monitoring

Article: http://www.nytimes.com/2011/07/26/world/asia/26china.html

Government officials in Beijing have released a new set of regulations which will require bars, restaurants, hotels, and bookstores that are equipped with wifi to install a new software, for the purpose of monitoring web activity. The software would reportedly record the identity of individuals who are logged on to the web, as well as the sights which they visit. In addition to violating people's privacy, the software is also costly (businesses would have to pay $3,100 to install the software). Many businesses would simply refuse to install the software. However, those who refuse to install the program could face a $23,000 fine, as well as a revocation of their business license. The high cost of the program has already forced some shops to close down.

As someone who has lived in the United States all their life, I admit that I tend to take freedom of speech for granted, especially when it comes to the internet. However, while I was aware of the censorship which was taking place in China before I read this article, it still managed to shock me, especially when I learned that last year the Chinese government blocked over a million website - including Twitter, Facebook, and Youtube. As I read this article, I began to wonder: what does the Chinese government think they'll accomplish from these restrictions? If they're looking for obedience, then this probably isn't the way to go. The wifi monitoring regulations have already led many shops to disconnect their free wifi in protest, as was the case with one bookstore owner, who stated that "I refuse to be part of an Orwellian surveillance system...". If anything, this ban will only serve to muddy the Chinese government's already black reputation when it comes to the question of human rights and free speech. Also, in addition to violating basic human rights, these regulations just dont make sense when you look at it from a logical standpoint. I don't see how a government can release a set of regulations requiring people to pay $3,100 on software (a software which would result in a drop in business for the establishment whose wifi it is installed into, no less), and then expect people to comply. If the government wishes to record people's internet activities, then they should pay for the installation of the program themselves, or at least provide some sort of incentive.

As far as the author's writing, I think it did a good job of depicting both sides of the issue by interviewing people from a wide range of situations, from government officials to angry bookstore owners to impartial customers who don't care one way or the other. This view allows one to review all of the facts in a consise, unbiased enviroment

No comments:

Blog Archive