Thursday, July 21, 2011

Problems With Logistics, Coordination and Rivalries Hamper Libya’s Rebels

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/07/21/world/africa/21libya.html?_r=1&ref=world&pagewanted=all

I chose to read this article because I feel that I have ben very ignorant about all of the events that have taken place in Libya since the beginning. So I been reading a lot on it and this article shows just how much these rebels care about their cause.

Ahmad Harari is one of the many Libyan rebel fighters fighting to take down Col. Muammar el-Qaddafi. In this article he describes how he was almost killed last week fighting against Qaddafi's military. This is very interesting to me because not only do these rebels believe in what they are fighting for 110% but also that they are willing to die for their cause even more than that. They show their dedication in many aspects but one thing that I find very brave and very smart is that they are in the middle of teaching the rebels street warfare so that they can fight not only in the mountains but in the cities as well. These two areas are extremely difficult to fight in so it will be interesting to see how the rebels fair in street warfare compared to their past confrontations which have been in the wilderness and in the mountains.
The one thing that concerns me is their strategizing techniques and the logistical area of their fighting as it states in the article, "... coordination between them, as well as logistical help from their higher commands and foreign supporters, has not developed in important ways. In eastern Libya, the rebel authorities talk of making a national army; here in the west, the state of official disorganization makes the prospects for such a force unlikely in the near term." If the rebels do succeed in making a national army and getting all of their soldiers and supporters organized and trained I have no doubt that the rebels will win this war.

No comments:

Blog Archive