Saturday, July 23, 2011

Massacre In Norway

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/07/24/world/europe/24island.html?ref=world

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/jul/23/norway-attacks

In Oslo, Norway Andres Behring Breivik, a man dressed in a police uniform, killed at lease 92 people. I think that the fact that he targeted a summer camp was the worst part about the whole thing. Knowing that this man solely killed kids our age without any remorse what so ever is just sickening to read about. When the victims fled to the ocean and were trying to swim away Breivik would slow down target them and pick them off one by one. It's a horrible thing to think about that the person behind you is probably dead and you could be next. Also in the article it says that Breicik was able to convince a group of kids into believing that he was the police so they followed him where he then proceeded in shooting them.
One quote i found particularly disturbing was, “He was standing just by the water, using his rifle, just taking his time, aiming and shooting,” Ms. Andreassen said. “It was a slaughter of young children." which is quoted from Helen Andreassen who is 21. The human mind can work in beautiful and constructive ways. But sadly it can also work in horrific and grossly destructive ways.

5 comments:

Eric said...

When I read this article my reaction was similar to yours. I was sickened by what this man did. Another thing that occurred to me was, how does an extremely mentally-unstable and dangerous man get access to an assault rifle. I think that the government should further regulate the distribution of weapons or start to ban them all together. It seems to me that more harm is done by weapons than good.

Jourden said...

I agree. Everyone who wants to own a weapon for recreational purposes should have to have a through background check and make sure that there is no signs of mental illness. The government should control it a lot better.

Michelleyy said...

I agree with eric, why isnt distribution of weapons more strict. More and more killings are happening because of what ? Guns & other weapons. I feel very bad for all those families who had husbands,family memebers etc killed. I believe all those people should raise their voice and say whats on their mind, say that gun and other weapons should be contorlled alot more.

Khaalis said...

i think that guns can be used in a situation when absolutely necessary. As in hunting or war. but for the sheer thrill according to my diagnosis of this heartless kid killer, is horrible and inhumane. i agree with jourden. Firearms should be strictly watched. especially if said person may have a(n) mental illness.

Andrew said...

I agree with Eric, but remember that this is Norway. It's regarded as one of the most peaceful countries in the world. I was surprised why this wasn't covered in the article, but I'm assuming that this explains both why the mentally-ill man was allowed a gun, and why it took a full 40 minutes for the police to arrive there.

Blog Archive