1. On the Road, while classified as fiction, is a loosely autobiographical account of the "Beatnik" writers' travels across America--narrated by Sal Paradise (AKA Kerouac).
What is your impression of Sal as a narrator? Reliable? Unreliable? Explain and cite the text for support.
When I answer the perennial question what are you reading? with On the Road, it has almost always been received with a look of hesitance, and something along the lines of ..So...do you like that beat stuff? Maybe the pool I've been sampling isn't diverse enough, but it seems to me that the beatniks have more skeptics nowadays than fans. In the ensuing conversations I've had about the book, people have called it self-indulgent, rambling, and pointless (although none tried to deny the obvious influence Kerouac had in his day). Only half way through the book myself, I haven't actually made up my mind on how I feel about Kerouac's prose, but I have noticed some patterns in how he, or Sal rather, narrates his travels, that I could either grow to appreciate and love, or could eventually find irritating and, potentially, self-indulgent. Kerouac's page-long paragraphs and rambling sentences carry the feeling of a breathless adventurer, energetic and ready to experience the the world, which I'm sure was intentional. However, there's a difference between including some seemingly insignificant anecdotes that subtly reveal something about the content of Sal's character or will somehow prove to be important later in the book, and just continuously filling pages with actually insignificant anecdotes.
At the point I am so far in the novel, it's hard to tell on which side of the line Kerouac stands. While I'm sure no author could receive this much acclaim by just aimlessly writing without any apparent gist, it's sometimes hard for me to see the significance in the details Sal/Kerouac includes in his prose. Take for example, Chapter 3, in which, among other things, Sal meets Eddie. During the latter leg of their trip in that particular chapter, the men are approached by a carnival worker and offered a job. The whole exchange takes a while and results in their refusal of the job, leaving them essentially in the same place they were before. Of course not everything in a book has to be of the utmost importance to the integrity of the novel and whatnot, and again I'm not far enough in to see if perhaps there's some significance in Sal's distaste for the carnival career scene. However, when you pick up a novel, you're in a way entrusting the author or narrator with the responsibility of entertaining you; of telling you a story. In that sense, I'm not sure I'm entirely convinced of Sal's reliability as a narrator, if what's at stake is my attention. It doesn't really matter how insanely interesting an adventure a character is having, if they include every single detail and dialogue that goes into that adventure, I can't promise I'm going to be interested the whole time. As I continue reading, what I'll mainly be looking for is some sort sign that all these details are leading somewhere.
Amid all these sometimes seemingly unnecessary details, I've also noticed Kerouac's tendency to unload a really profound statement quite casually. And, to counter pretty much everything I've just been saying, I was thinking that it's possible some of the scenarios that seem pointless and make you wonder why the author bothered to include them at all, merely serve the purpose of being a scenario in which these nuggets of insight can be said. For instance, in that same exchange with the carnival worker, his first line is: "You boys going to get somewhere, or just going?" (20). I really liked this line, because it does sort of epitomize the whole concept of the road and being on it. I guess Sal felt kind of the same way as he followed it with: "We didn't understand his question, and it was a damned good question." (20). In including these enlightening little quips, Paradise can easily be seen as reliable, as they appear pretty frequently. I'm guessing a lot of the people who didn't love Kerouac or On the Road figured the insightful bits weren't worth rooting through the superfluous description. I'm still not really sure myself, I'll get back to you.
Tuesday, August 2, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Blog Archive
-
▼
2011
(456)
-
▼
August
(202)
- On the Road, Post 3, Question 2
- #4
- Question 7 (post 6)
- "Open Courses, Nearly Free"
- The Road Post 3 Question 6
- On the Road, Post 2, Question 1
- "Deciding to Die, Then Shown the Door"
- The Road, Post 2, Question 7
- On the Road, Post 1, Question 4
- “As Farmers’ Markets Go Mainstream, Some Fear a Glut”
- The Road, Post 1, Question 5
- Question 6 (post 5)
- Question 5 (post 4)
- the road
- On the Road- Question 4
- On the Road- Question 7
- On The Road- Question 1
- On the road post 1
- On The Road Post Three (Post Six)
- question 3 ( 3rd post "on the road" by kerouac
- question 6 (2nd post "on the road" by kerouac)
- question 4 ( 1st post "on the road" by jack kerouac )
- 3. In 1952 (when people still wrote letters to eac...
- On the Road (Question 3, Post 6)
- #3 Allen Ginsberg I agree with Allen. I don't und...
- The Road Post 3
- On The Road: Post 2
- The Road Post 2
- The Road Post 1
- <!--[if gte mso 9]> <![endif]--><!--[if gte...
- <!--[if gte mso 9]> <![endif]--><!--[if gte...
- On The Road 1
- On the Road -- The Catcher in the Rye
- On the Road -- What is the Road?
- On the Road -- Women
- On The Road:Post 3
- On The Road:Post 1
- On the Road (Post 3)
- On The Road (Question 1, Post 5)
- On The Road Post 2 (Post 5)
- On the Road- Post 3; Question 6
- The Road Post 3
- The Road Post 2
- Question 7. Post 6.
- Question 5. Post 5.
- Question 4. Post 4.
- The Road Post 1
- The Road (question 6, post 6)
- The Kids Are Not All Right
- Israel and Hamas Move to Restore Cease-Fire
- Woman= Sex Object On The Road, Post 1, Question 4....
- Hope! The Road, Post 3, Question 7 7. If every bo...
- Lost With the World... The Road, Post 2, Question ...
- All the King's Horses
- #1 On The Road
- 4. Consider both novels. What do you notice about ...
- McCarthy's women
- The Road (Question 7)
- The Road, Question 7
- What is your impression of Sal as a narrator? Reli...
- On The Road (Question 1)
- The Road (Question 4)
- On The Road (Question 7)
- Question 5: McCarthys style of writting
- McCarthy’s style of writing
- Can you tell Kerouac loved language?
- Question 6: Any other remarks and comments
- Question 4: treatment of women in both novels
- The Road (Post 3)
- 6. What other remarks might you have about the books?
- On The Road (post3,question6)
- 1. On the Road, while classified as fiction, is a ...
- 2. Can you tell Kerouac loved language? Reflect on...
- 4. Consider both novels. What do you notice about ...
- The Road - Post 3; Question 4
- Question #2
- Question #1
- Question #3
- The Road (Post 4, Question 4)
- On The Road: Post 2
- The Road: Post 3
- On The Road (Post 2)
- The Road: Post 2
- The Road: Post 1
- 7. If every book is an author's attempt to answer ...
- The Road, Post 2
- The Road (question 7, post 5)
- The Road (question 5, post 4)
- On The Road (Question 4)
- On the Road (Question 6, Post 2)
- Post 3 Question #4
- Question 4 Love or pathological lust? Part 1
- The Road, Post 1
- On The Road ( post 2, question 2)
- On The Road ( post 1, question 4)
- On the Road (Post 1, Question 7)
- The Road (Post 1, Question 5)
- The Road (Post 1, Question 5) 5. McCarthy's novel...
- The Road Q6 (Post 3)
- The Road Q5 (Post 2)
- The Road, Q4 (Post 1)
- Question 2 (Post 2)
- On The Road (Post 1)
- The Road (Post 3, Question 6)
- The Road (Post 2, Question 7)
- The Road (Post 1, Question 5)
- The Road Post 3
- 6. What other remarks might you have about the boo...
- Eric's OTR post that I deleted. oooops
- Question 1 (post 1)
- The Road- Post 2 Question #7
- The Road- Post 1 Question #6
- Question 2 (post 2)
- The Road - Post 2; Question 7
- One The Road - Post 2, Question 6
- The Road - Post 1, Question 5
- 5. McCarthy's novel is a stark contrast to Kerouac...
- 6. What other remarks might you have about the boo...
- 7. If every book is an author's attempt to answer ...
- The Road - Question 7
- The Road - Question 6
- The Road - Question 5
- The Road (post3,question4)
- Fight Harder, Voters Telling Congressmen
- Politicians and Protesters Assail British Police
- C.I.A. Is Disputed on Civilian Toll in Drone Strikes
- On the Road, Q4
- On the Road Q1
-
▼
August
(202)
3 comments:
I respectfully and wholeheartedly disagree with pretty much everything you have to say here.
First off, it seems that we have polar opinions on this novel. I fell in love with "On the Road" in a matter of sentences for the exact reason why you seem to dislike the novel so much. Kerouac packs so much into every paragraph. Even though his details aren't necessarily relevant to getting across some kind of broader message, "On the Road" is about life and life as the road--every instant that occurs on that road, not about getting somewhere and finding something and reaching a resolution. The book itself is a celebration of life, and life doesn't often wrap itself as neatly as novels bundle away themes and underlying political agendas.
One thing I love about Kerouac is how often he describes things as brown. Brown is a word so seldom used because, well, it's brown. Everything is brown. Maybe cutting down the descriptions of things that are brown would help draw the reader's eye to the more important meat or moral of the story, but Kerouac isn't selling us anything. He's just giving us life as he sees it, brownness in all.
I think we have to agree to disagree on this one.
Like Sophie, I disagree with you about the seemingly random, insignificant anecdotes Kerouac adds to his story. I think they serve to enrich and flesh out a simple traveler's tale into a truly riveting novel. However, I do very much agree with you when you say that Kerouac uses the "insignificant" details as a set up for some profound statement. It seems to me that, like you said, he wants you to sort of root around in the story to look for stuff like that. I think that that is one of the big reasons why this book is one that you either love or hate.
I definitely agree with Tarpley about this, especially because her entire post was about her being torn on the issue, not about hating the writing absolutely. I can see what Sophie and Zack are saying about the book trying to capture a life and lifestyle as opposed to a story and I think the Kerouac succeeded in doing so, but I also do find my attention wavering and my investment in the characters slipping away as I plow through the less relevant details. I think the explosion of thoughts, stories, and details is just a style I don't really enjoy as a reader reading for leisure, but I do think it is a style Kerouac accomplished beautifully and completely--a style he basically invented and then exemplified. I just can't help feeling the book should end with that classic, infuriating line, "Eh, you just had to be there."
Post a Comment