Tuesday, August 2, 2011

On The Road- Jack Kerouac (Post 2)

2.) Can you tell Kerouac loved language? Reflect on where in the novel this love of language is most evident and explore its impact on telling the story.

When answering this question, I immediately began to think about the different ways Kerouac used to express himself. Kerouac never simply said what was on his mind, instead he described it. Instead of telling us what he witnessed or saw, he would take up pages at a time describing every thing in detail. In this way, I believe he valued language a great amount. In addition to that, Kerouac used various word language in his writing. There were many times where he used dirty language to say something, but there were also many times where he used intelligent words or phrases to where I sometimes had to look certain words up. Specifically when he liked to describe the different jazz bands when they would go out and listen. As far as using dirty language, he seemed to use that the most when he referred to girls, or Neal and his relationships with multiple women. Such as, the many times he used "whore" to refer to the type of women they all seemed to be. I believe his use of language was brilliant in creating a story for the readers to follow. In my opinion, the book wouldn't have been as relevant and exciting as it was with it. Throughout the entire novel I felt Kerouac showed his love for different language and his desire to share it as he tried to explain himself.
A more obvious way I was shown Kerouac had a love for language and writing was because the main character in the novel, Jack wrote books and different writing pieces for a living. It was said in the book that he was paid for his great writing a great amount. "In the spring of 1949 I suddenly came into a wonderful thousand dollar check from NY company for the work I did." This quote clearly shows how much he valued writing, of which it probably was based mainly on his language.

No comments:

Blog Archive