Thursday, August 18, 2011

The Road Q6 (Post 3)

What other remarks might you have about the books? Questions? Oberservations? Reactions?

When reading On the Road I always noticed how Jack always seemed to be ready to travel. Regaurdless of any circumstance he would always get up and head for the road, especially with Neal. Sometimes i asked myself why? Didnt he just want to focus on something other than the road or traveling long, hard hours that turned into days, weeks. "The rain came down in buckets and I had no shelter. I had to run under some pines to take cover; this did no good. I began crying and swearing and socking myself on the head for being such a dumb fool." (p116) With this quote i realized how Jack would put up with anything while traveling. He would even leave home for long periods of time. I also oberserved how differently Jack treated women than Neal. While Neal was more uncaring and unfaithful when it came to women, Jack seemed to build relationships and feeling that meant something to him, even though they rarely lasted. The obvious language that Kerouac was definetly interesting and fulfilling in the novel and gave it the realistic feel that i enjoy. I felt did an excellent job in creating a novel that was enjoyable and creative. The Road was defeintely far different than On the Road. In the way that the characters were put in different scenerios and situations. And also the language McCathy used, or didnt even use at all. I admired the relationship the father and son seemed to have under any cirsumstance. The son seemded a normal young boy who loved and was attached to his father, seeming he was the only person he really knew. As the for the father he was very protective and cautious of his surronding. He would never stay at one place for long periods of time or trust anyone they encountered. I believe he had taught the son many things, and when he died his son was prepared for anything, regauardless if he didnt feel he was. My favorite part of the entire novel was the end when the father died beacause it was emotional and it was a point where the son had to depart and become his own man as his father was. McCarthy did a great job in creating a story where the readers followed the lives of two travelers until the very end of their journey.

No comments:

Blog Archive