The first female Sal encounters sexually is Terry, a poor, working Mexican woman. "I had bought my ticket and was waiting for the LA bus when all of a sudden I saw the cutest little Mexican girl in slacks come cutting across my sight. Her breasts stuck straight out and true; her little flanks looked delicious; her hair was long and lustrous black; and her eyes were great big blue things with timidities inside. O gruesome life, how I moaned and pleaded, and then I got mad and realized I was pleading with a dumb little Mexican wench and I told her so" (p. 80) This quote makes clear Sal's intentions with this woman, and also the fact that he is somewhat racist. Then when Sal gets a job working in the fields with Terry, it's as if he views it all as a camping trip, or even an experiment, to possibly further himself spiritually.
Women were a sidetrack for the men in this novel.
No comments:
Post a Comment