I find this disturbing, as it is the young adult who is going to be dealing more and more with the downside of the economy and the job market until things improve. The elderly probably have some savings and a home. Young people rarely if ever have enough in their checking acct. to manage a full month without feeling desperate.
Let me tell you what I did see. A sea of older and elderly faces, concerned that what they have is going to be dipped into, that the bennies of Social Security and Medicare are going to be disturbed, and that they might have to sacrifice a bit more for the common good and they don't want to.
I'm sure this is what everyone wants: Don't raise my taxes. But make sure that the taxes that we collect pay for what I need. Don't ask me to pay any more for schools, or social programs. But make sure that the things I need are there when I need them such as cities support for Senior Centers and special transportation and Food Stamps if I have to ask for help. And if I have to go into a nursing home and the government has to pay for it through Medicaid, well, I worked all my life and I DESERVE IT.
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/08/12/us/politics/12congress.html
No comments:
Post a Comment