Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Question 6 (post 5)

6. What other remarks might you have about the books? Questions? Observations? Reactions?

Overall I enjoyed both On the Road by Kerouac and The Road by McCarthy. I thought that these two novels were both very interesting and different examples of a journey or travel story. However, I do feel that I preferred the first novel, On the Road. This was due to the more friendly writing style as well as being able to make more personal connections to the characters and their journeys.

One of my biggest problems with The Road was that I simply found the plot structure to repetitive and dull. The characters always, in some fashion or another: traveled on the road, ran low on supplies, encountered other travelers, and then miraculously encountered more food and water. I was at first intrigued by the post-apocalyptic nature of the novel, and the constant question of “How did this happen?,” but I soon grew weary the constant search to have questions answered and never finding an answer.

I also had issue with the sparse and often vague writing style employed in The Road. I understand that not giving the characters names or the circumstances of their travel does lend itself fairly well to this type of novel. However, I think that by not answering some of these questions McCarthy actually detracted from the character development in the novel.

On the Road, by Kerouac, was somewhat of a more cheerful rendition of a travel story. Although Sal often ran into problems none of them were as severe or life-threatening as those presented in The Road.

No comments:

Blog Archive