Saturday, August 20, 2011

Question #2

After reading the book i could tell that Jack Kerouac loved language. He believed that the language that and author chooses to use, sets the entire mood of the book. For example: if an author beats around the bush and doesn't just say things straight forward, then readers are going to be confused about what he's trying to say. Kerouac speaks his mind through Sal, and Sal doesn;t hessitate. Many people who have read this book enjoy it so much because of the fact that Kerouac wasn't afraid to use words like whore and sluts. He called it out as he saw it and there was no other way that he could've done it better!

3 comments:

Alessandra said...

I agree that it is obvious that Kerouac has a love of language, and he definitely wasn't afraid to use words, but I think that there is definitely room for improvement in his writing, and he could have done it better. I think Sal goes beyond just saying things "Straight up" he says it straight up plus like 10 extra things, which in my in my opinion leads to the same confusion as the books that don't say it straight ip at all.

Alessandra said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Tarpley said...

If by straight up you mean honest, then I'm totally with you. While at times it seemed like Sal was saying things with the twist of his own personal biases, I never felt like he was purposefully spinning the story anyway different than how he genuinely saw it. However, I'm with Alessandra if, by straight up, you were going for "straight forward" or "to the point," because he often included details that had nothing to do with whatever he was talking about, or got sidetracked with aimless anecdotes (part of why/how the honesty is so tangible).

Blog Archive