Saturday, August 13, 2011
6. What other remarks might you have about the books? Questions? Observations? Reactions? (The Road)
I think had this book not been so widely loved and recommended to me, I would have had a different reaction. I’ve had countless people tell me how this is their absolute favorite book and it changed the way they read, so I was inclined to expect greatness. As I started reading, people would come up to me and tell me “watch out for the trap door” or they’d just wince and tell me what a tough read it was. Naturally, this got me excited, and I gladly read on, waiting to be shocked or disturbed. However, that time never came. My first thought after finishing the book was WHAT TRAP DOOR PART?! Did I skip a major chapter?? But as luck would have it it was 3 a.m. and I was not about to go wake up my whole family, as much as I would have liked. Finally, the next morning, I was able to ask all my questions, but by the end, I could not hide my disappointment. Apparently the trap door part that everyone was talking about was the hatch door thing on page 110, a part that I found so trivial I could not even remember. Not to say that this book, particularly that part, was all flowers and rainbows, but I have to say I was expecting so much more. Because of that, I think I was much more disappointed by the book than I ever would have been normally. I wish I could have read this book before I heard so many good reviews from disturbed readers, because I think had I read it then I would’ve had a very different opinion.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Blog Archive
-
▼
2011
(456)
-
▼
August
(202)
- On the Road, Post 3, Question 2
- #4
- Question 7 (post 6)
- "Open Courses, Nearly Free"
- The Road Post 3 Question 6
- On the Road, Post 2, Question 1
- "Deciding to Die, Then Shown the Door"
- The Road, Post 2, Question 7
- On the Road, Post 1, Question 4
- “As Farmers’ Markets Go Mainstream, Some Fear a Glut”
- The Road, Post 1, Question 5
- Question 6 (post 5)
- Question 5 (post 4)
- the road
- On the Road- Question 4
- On the Road- Question 7
- On The Road- Question 1
- On the road post 1
- On The Road Post Three (Post Six)
- question 3 ( 3rd post "on the road" by kerouac
- question 6 (2nd post "on the road" by kerouac)
- question 4 ( 1st post "on the road" by jack kerouac )
- 3. In 1952 (when people still wrote letters to eac...
- On the Road (Question 3, Post 6)
- #3 Allen Ginsberg I agree with Allen. I don't und...
- The Road Post 3
- On The Road: Post 2
- The Road Post 2
- The Road Post 1
- <!--[if gte mso 9]> <![endif]--><!--[if gte...
- <!--[if gte mso 9]> <![endif]--><!--[if gte...
- On The Road 1
- On the Road -- The Catcher in the Rye
- On the Road -- What is the Road?
- On the Road -- Women
- On The Road:Post 3
- On The Road:Post 1
- On the Road (Post 3)
- On The Road (Question 1, Post 5)
- On The Road Post 2 (Post 5)
- On the Road- Post 3; Question 6
- The Road Post 3
- The Road Post 2
- Question 7. Post 6.
- Question 5. Post 5.
- Question 4. Post 4.
- The Road Post 1
- The Road (question 6, post 6)
- The Kids Are Not All Right
- Israel and Hamas Move to Restore Cease-Fire
- Woman= Sex Object On The Road, Post 1, Question 4....
- Hope! The Road, Post 3, Question 7 7. If every bo...
- Lost With the World... The Road, Post 2, Question ...
- All the King's Horses
- #1 On The Road
- 4. Consider both novels. What do you notice about ...
- McCarthy's women
- The Road (Question 7)
- The Road, Question 7
- What is your impression of Sal as a narrator? Reli...
- On The Road (Question 1)
- The Road (Question 4)
- On The Road (Question 7)
- Question 5: McCarthys style of writting
- McCarthy’s style of writing
- Can you tell Kerouac loved language?
- Question 6: Any other remarks and comments
- Question 4: treatment of women in both novels
- The Road (Post 3)
- 6. What other remarks might you have about the books?
- On The Road (post3,question6)
- 1. On the Road, while classified as fiction, is a ...
- 2. Can you tell Kerouac loved language? Reflect on...
- 4. Consider both novels. What do you notice about ...
- The Road - Post 3; Question 4
- Question #2
- Question #1
- Question #3
- The Road (Post 4, Question 4)
- On The Road: Post 2
- The Road: Post 3
- On The Road (Post 2)
- The Road: Post 2
- The Road: Post 1
- 7. If every book is an author's attempt to answer ...
- The Road, Post 2
- The Road (question 7, post 5)
- The Road (question 5, post 4)
- On The Road (Question 4)
- On the Road (Question 6, Post 2)
- Post 3 Question #4
- Question 4 Love or pathological lust? Part 1
- The Road, Post 1
- On The Road ( post 2, question 2)
- On The Road ( post 1, question 4)
- On the Road (Post 1, Question 7)
- The Road (Post 1, Question 5)
- The Road (Post 1, Question 5) 5. McCarthy's novel...
- The Road Q6 (Post 3)
- The Road Q5 (Post 2)
- The Road, Q4 (Post 1)
- Question 2 (Post 2)
- On The Road (Post 1)
- The Road (Post 3, Question 6)
- The Road (Post 2, Question 7)
- The Road (Post 1, Question 5)
- The Road Post 3
- 6. What other remarks might you have about the boo...
- Eric's OTR post that I deleted. oooops
- Question 1 (post 1)
- The Road- Post 2 Question #7
- The Road- Post 1 Question #6
- Question 2 (post 2)
- The Road - Post 2; Question 7
- One The Road - Post 2, Question 6
- The Road - Post 1, Question 5
- 5. McCarthy's novel is a stark contrast to Kerouac...
- 6. What other remarks might you have about the boo...
- 7. If every book is an author's attempt to answer ...
- The Road - Question 7
- The Road - Question 6
- The Road - Question 5
- The Road (post3,question4)
- Fight Harder, Voters Telling Congressmen
- Politicians and Protesters Assail British Police
- C.I.A. Is Disputed on Civilian Toll in Drone Strikes
- On the Road, Q4
- On the Road Q1
-
▼
August
(202)
5 comments:
I agree with you 100%, because i was a litlle dissappointed at the book as well. People were telling me how great it was and that it was full of mystery. I agree about the mystery part, but it just didn't capture my attention. I felt like the book would never end about the same events: they would travel down the road, find someone or food, run into a little trouble then keep going.
About your trap door experience, I don't see why people made that a big highlight of the book, because I personally thought that that part of the book just blended in with the rest of it just like you had said.
"trivial"..."just blended in" ??? These are words both of you used to describe a scene that protrays human bondage, enduring torture and canibalism. I'm confused.
Well, no one recommended this book to me, but of course, I read the short blurb on the back before diving in. I expected it to be dark, and it was. But for me, it just kept dragging on. Some of the parts were just too cliche to really become involved in it. I know that life is full of cliches, and it's hard to avoid them when writing, but it made the book significantly less powerful.
Alessandra, it's not surprising that you, queen of horror and torture mysteries, would find this book bland. It just wasn't as horrific as everyone promised it would be, I suppose.
Mrs Johnston, I think those are horrific things and I'm not at all saying that those acts themselves are trivial, but I feel the way it was portrayed it was not shocking for me, and not nearly as disturbing as I was expecting. I think for this scene it was all in the delivery for me, not just solely about the content, and the way this was delivered I did not find shocking, and it did not stand out from the rest of the book. That was just my experience.
Alessandra-
Can you say a little more about McCarthy's delivery or portrayal of these horrific images? I'm not challenging your experience at all. Just digging. : )
Post a Comment