Saturday, August 20, 2011

Question #1

I like the fact that the author allowed Sal to be the narrator. Sal used different language than many other books that i have read. He kept it real with the audience and wasn't afraid to use 'words'. (whore) Sal was always honest throughout the book whether it being a good thing or a bad thing. For example: (pg.273) "I saw what a whore she was." In this part of the quote i thought WOW! Sal was really feeling some type of way and he wanted to share what he was feeling. I was even more shocked when reading further..."She walked on little whore feet.." Sal took the word whore to a whole new level. I actually thought it was funny, because he wasn't afraid to say all the extra things. many writers don't include every thought thats going through their minds. Sal does and that's the main reason why i was able to get into the book.

2 comments:

Imani said...

I thought Sal was a very honest and sometimes quite blunt narrator. I enjoyed him as the narrator too. I was surprised too by some of the things he said because they were unexpected.

Shoshana said...

I thought the book really puts the reader in the mind of Sal, so you could get how he thought, and why he thought it. For example, how he refers to women as "whores"-even in his thoughts! But as you keep reading, you realize that not only do his friends refer to women that way, even people he meets on the road do it too!

Blog Archive