Monday, August 22, 2011

On the Road (Question 3, Post 6)

3. In 1952 (when people still wrote letters to each other), Allen Ginsberg penned these words to Kerouac about the manuscript of On the Road: "I don't see how it will ever be published, it's so personal, it's so full of sex language, so full of our local mythological references, I don't know if it would make sense to any publisher." What is your reaction to this?

I read up on the story behind the book, and apparently Kerouac wrote the entire novel in 3 weeks, on a single piece of paper (many typewriter sheets taped together), while surviving solely on pea soup and coffee. Kerouac was influenced by jazz and musical improvisation, which inspired him to just type out whatever came to mind. So whether or not it's "so personal, so full of sex language, so full of our local mythological references", it's really just a solo. An, evidently, a best-selling one.

I'm not really sure if it was a good thing that that this book was edited. It's kind of like auto-tuning a sax solo. It just ruins the passion behind the music.

2 comments:

Michelleyy said...

I agree with what Andrew is saying because , I think if it wasn't edited than it wouldve been a lot better , a lot more excitement than the book now. Also if it wasnt edited than it would've been a lot more outrageous things going on . It seems like by editing the book it toned the whole script of the book down . I wonder how it wouldve actually been without the editing ?

Lexy said...

Thank you, Andrew, for looking up the back story on this. I think it's really interesting and surprising that this was all done in such a short amount of time. That made me wonder how fictitious this story really is, and although I'm sure it's very obviously stated somewhere, I wanted to double check. Amazon.com calls it a "thinly fictionalized autobiography, filled with a cast made of Kerouac's real life friends, lovers, and fellow travelers." I think this made me slightly less impressed at the ultra-short writing period, but I still remain impressed. I also would like to know how different it would have been without the editing.

Blog Archive