Wednesday, August 17, 2011

The Road (Post 3, Question 6)

6. What other remarks might you have about the books? Questions? Observations? Reactions?

One thing that stuck out in The Road was The Boy's utter devotion to his father. A theme of the book was The Boy repeating "Okay" over and over again. In that one word stood so much power because it was a true show of his faith in his father. Without arguing, he would just respond with "okay" to everything that his father was saying because he wanted so hard to believe that his father was right and that he was leading them to a better and safer place. Though, as an child would, he would question things sometimes, the conversation would narrow down to The Boy saying "Okay." It was s powerful because typically that's not what a child's reaction is. Most children tend to argue for what they want, and not be able to compromise. But this world transformed him into a child that had to make adult-like compromises, and to just go with what a person he trusted was saying. Though he was scared a lot of the time (and who wouldn't be, in a world where dead bodes are scattered throughout the landscape) he clung to his father with his whole heart. His bravery was so admirable, because he was so young. We see more of The Man's twisted head in the book than The Boy's, and I think that's for the best, so it comes as a shock when The Boy's intelligence is shown through his quiet disposition. The book is a constant flow of The Man's thoughts, but the small sections in which we get to see what The Boy is thinking are probably what make the book.

3 comments:

Brad said...

Sofia, I do agree with your comment about the Boy going against his better judgment and just listening to what his father has to say through. However I must disagree with you when you say this cataclysmic world caused him to transform. By definition transform means to change completely. And I did not recall him say "Okay" 100% of the time. He still urged the Man, at times not to leave him alone regardless of what he wanted the boy to do. So in my opinion, he did not change completely, but rather slightly. He altered his perspective of the world based on his experience. Seeing dead bodies, having blood splattered on him and watching people die caused him to, over time, trust his father more then ever now that his fears where heightened; And when his father is about to leave him alone to fend for himself for a few minutes, the boy seems to envisions bad things to come and goes into this panic mode. So again I do not believe the world changed him but rather the experiences he encountered.

Jillian said...

Sofia, I totally agree with you on this. And I can't quite remember (and I don't have the book next to me) but I think there are a few points in the book where the man says that the boy was a new kind of human that fit this post apocalypse world better than he did. If he didn't say that at any point, then it was definitely a vibe I got.

Zachary said...

What you said here I think really captures at least some of the essence of the novel. The relationship the boy and his father have is truly one of absolute trust and confidence. This is, I think, a by-product of the harsh and cruel world that they are trying to survive in. As you said, the boy has to "make adult-like compromises", which to me says that he must be incredibly mature. I think that maturity (as well as the man being his father) is what allowed him to put that confidence in him.

Blog Archive