Sunday, August 21, 2011

Question 6: Any other remarks and comments

What other remarks might you have about the books? Questions? Observations? Reactions?

I found both book very enjoyedable and like nothing Ive ever read before. They both reminded me of a canvas being painted by a man, each painting told a different story. "On the Road being more colorful and vibrant, told the story of a man surrounded by lifes funky obsticale and all the thing considered "normal" ,while "The Road" more grim and darker focuses on the survival journy of a man and his son. My initail reaction to "On the Road" was that Sal is a very cool and interesting narrorator. The book starting off with Sal talking about his split up with his wife and his feelings makes him beleivable and trustworthy in a sense. He made reading this book very enjoyable by being humorous and keeping real. I noticed that Sal was very compassionate when it came to women. He wasnt looking for more than just a fling but something solid, A wife. His very descriptive accounts of what happened on his journy make the people he hangs out with look kind of wacky (expecally Dean) and help you to create a visual in your mind about whats going on. Why was Sal always defending Deans charater? Why was Dean so imortant?

When reading "The Road", I imediately thought that this book would be suspenceful. The descriptive language reels you in and makes you wonder "whats gonna happen next?" I noticed that this novel had no chapters, that was the first for me. I also noticed the the conversations between individuals were short worded. The mans dreams helped to tell stories of his past. While reading this book my heart started to go out for the father and his son. The man literally fought for his live not to mentiond his sons during harsh condition Having to sleep survivng off of cold rice in cave, expecally during the winter is no joke. It was disapointed and surprised when the wife committed suicide. The boy needed both his parents. Who was the man and his son?

If I had to choose, my favorite book would have to be "On the Road" because it was so out there interms of language and content. The use of curse words through out the novel made it very realistic and relateable. The women, drugs, and alcohal use throughout the story made it reliable to readers because this is what actually goes on in our world. There are no boundries

3 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

I definately agree with you. I feel like the novels "On the Road" and "The Road" are just opposites, just like the light and darkness. Both books though, represent different ways for survival when it comes to living life. My favorite book out of both of them would have to be "The Road", though. McCarthy did an amazing way to touch the audience's hearts. What I like the most about this novel, "On the Road" is how people can connect easier with this sort of life, because we see it in a daily basis. We see people smoking on the streets and using "slang" language. And though the scenerio might not be as dark as in the novel,"The Road", it focuses on reality. It is a wild and energetic novel, bursting with possibility. The narrator has a great hippie accent, as well.

Lily said...

I like that you think "The Road" and "On the Road" are complete opposites, because I found myself thinking that they were more similar than anything else. Both books are accounts of journeys in which the protagonists are lost and yet trying not to lose themselves any further. The characters in both books seem to be slaves to their environments - Sal and his friends, in the conformist America of the the fifties, the Boy and the Man, in the post-apocalyptic world of death. Finally, all three main characters feel as if they need to find something, even though they come to discover that there is really no final destination in life - only the simple events and details of each passing day.

Blog Archive