Saturday, August 20, 2011

Question #3

I disagree with this reaction to Kerouac's novel, because i feel like he did a good job describing the characters, and with the situations in the story such language was necessary. I feel like Jack Kerouac kept the book real. For example: Kerouac used words like whore to show his reader what kind of behavior some of the women in the story displayed.
If Jack Kerouac didn't use such language and used more censored words, I feel like it would've taken away from the book. If people can't handle mature language as such without getting offended then i feel like these types of books just aren't for them.

1 comment:

Tarpley said...

You have to remember though, that this book did come out in 1951, so while it might be easy for us now to write off people who 'can't handle mature language,' at the time it was a completely different story. Really, if all the people it offended had just dropped the book and been like " Oh, well it's not for me..." the novel probably wouldn't have made as big a splash and probably wouldn't have been as widely read.

Blog Archive