Friday, August 19, 2011

On The Road ( post 1, question 4)

The treatment of women is in two different viewpoints because Kerouac gives the viewpoint of Dean and the viewpoint of Sal.

Deans viewpoint is that to him every women is a whore and that women are just good for one thing and that is having fun or his "kick."Even though he loved Marylou he always thought of her as a whore. He want to have sex with every women he thought was cute and good for having fun.
In Sal's point of view he doesn't automatically calls women whores unless he has a reason too, for example, when he was in San Francisco with Marylou and Marylou promised to be with him but in the end she left him. That's when he calls her a whore. You can notice that Sal was the type of men that wanted to know you better before naming what you are, which is what he did with most of the women he met.

I think that along with those two viewpoints you can see that sometimes women are responsible for how they are characterized and treated. An example of this would be Marylou who proved herself to be a whore by doing stuff.

5 comments:

Maya Wilson said...

I agree with you one hundred percent Cecilia. This is how i seen it:
On The Road by Jack Kerouac and The Road Cormac McCarthy, woman have shown up through out the novels. In the novel On The Road by Jack Kerouac woman are displayed as whore's, or the most prettiest beings the main character Sal has ever seen.Basically with in this (generation) novel many woman where whore's to most men, except for a selected few.
In the novel The Road Cormac McCarthy, woman where displayed as almost cold hearted. I say this because the one woman talked about in the novel, was the wife of the father and the mother of the son. What she does is leaves them behind so she can die instead of sticking by their side. The father tries his hardest to make her stay, but she doesn't care. She had no faith nor a heart to stick around to help her son.
In both novels woman are whore's or sluts in some type of way, as well as those who can be heartless.
Comment back soon as possible. Can't wait to see you in school.
- Maya .

Chavon Hampton said...

Cecilia and Maya, you have the sam POV (point of view) as i do. The women in this book are titled by what they do. However, when the men call them what they are they get upset. I say, if you don't want to develop a bad name for yourself, then stop doing what you're doing to get that name.
Many people try to blame the men, but i'm on the men's side for this one because the men are just naming what they see being done.

Cecilia said...

Hi Maya, I agree with you about the women in McCarthys novel being cold hearted. And Chavon, I agree with you 100% about men calling women by what they see. You are responsible for your reputation and if you mess it up well don't expect to be treated like before. And it's true people get upset when you tell them their truths but what do they want ? lies.

I think I prefer someone of my friends to tell me what I'm doing wrong then to later regret being called whatever name.

Anonymous said...

I agree with all of you. I feel like in both novels women seem to have a bad reputation with the rest of the world. For instance, in the novel "The Road", the father's wife had commited suicide before the father and the son had gone on their journey. I felt at one point after reading the novel is how McCarthy represents women as weak, not able to survive. But it isn't the case. In both sexes, there are both strong and weak humans. In the novel, "On the Road", I also disliked the way women were viewed. Sal might not think the same as Dean, but there are a lot of men like Dean that believe women are just some sluts. Girls, don't you feel kind of offended by Dean? I sure felt that way! Some women like to be with more than one person, but not every one. If someone is doing something, like sleeping with more than one person, then that's there own fault. That's what they want to do and they are doing these actions to affect their own reputations. One thing I definately agree is what you said, Cecilia. I feel the same way and I rather have a close friend tell me something that I am doing wrong, than hearing it later from many people.

ave.P said...

Yeah well, in On the Road, they had this kinda Hit or Miss attitude with women, either they were on point, 'beautiful' women, or they were 'whores'. I'm positive those aren't the only two defining traits of women, but it sure seemed that Dean and Sal thought that way.

Blog Archive