Friday, August 19, 2011

On The Road ( post 2, question 2)

In the novel " on the road " you can tell in every page and chapter that Kerouac loved language. He seems to be the type of writer that likes to play around with words and make it more descriptive so that he can be sure that he got that feeling or image across to his readers.

"I had a vision of Dean, a burning shuddering frightful Angel, palpitating toward me across the road, approaching like a cloud, with enormous speed, pursuing me like the Shrouded Traveler on the plain, beating down on me. I saw his huge face over the plains with the mad, bony purpose and the gleaming eyes; I saw his wings; I saw his old jalopy chariot with thousands of sparking flames shooting out from it; I saw the path it burned over the road; it even made it's own road and went over the corn, through cities, destroying bridges, drying rivers. It came like the wrath to the West."(pg. 263)

Instead of Kerouac saying "Dean came at full speed" or something, he added that flavor(lol) to describe how he felt and how Dean was doing. It was very different to "the Road" but both authors knew how to put their styles in effect. They knew what type of stories to write and how to write them. In Kerouacs novel is so descriptive and vivid that it's like you can draw a picture of what he is describing.

"This was a manuscript of the night we couldn't read."(pg. 159)

This was my favorite quote because to me it showed me everything that the book meant. That life itself has a role or manuscript that we can't sometimes understand nor read but we just have to wait and let everything happen. It's like when you go see a play, only the actors know what their manuscript says and they know what they are supposed to do while the audience just watches, waits, and predicts what will happen. That's the way I see life you don't know what will happen but you have the chance to predict and in the end you'll know if you were right or wrong.

No comments:

Blog Archive