Sunday, August 7, 2011

McCarthy's The Road (Post 2, Question 7)



7. If every book is an author's attempt to answer one of life's questions, what question is McCarthy and/or Kerouac attempting to answer? Explain.

How far will humans go to reach a goal? I found that the book covered many cases of extreme human nature. For example, the father put his life in the line and performed numerous heroic actions just to care for his son. He didn't commit suicide like his wife, he thought fast and removed the boy from threatening situations, killed a man, even used himself as a meat-shield when they were under fire. The boy's survival was his only purpose in life, and I'm sure that many people wouldn't go to the extremes he did to care for his son.
The more obvious example of human extremes is the cannabalism. Would you eat another human being if you were starving? Not just extremely hungry, but starving? Of course all of you are thinking no no no no no, but starving to death really changing your thinking; emotionally, and physically. To eat another human being, you need to be able to drop all of your morals, first of all. You need to kill, you need to rip apart, and you need to cook, and eat. I guess we'll never know what we'll do until apocalypse itself comes and society crumbles.
I thought my question was pretty thought-provoking at first, but my answer turned out to be pretty shallow. So please elaborate if you have anything to add.

-Andrew Suzuki

3 comments:

Michelleyy said...

I know alot of people say that if the world was to end they would never turn to cannabalism , and I am one of them. But reading this book made me really think. If all that the father and son went through i dont think i would've survived. I think that cannabalism is something horrible and disgusting but WOW when your starving to death theres no other thing to do but to kill a person , rip them apart, cook them and eat just like you said. Thats really something and so extreme kind of scary to think that in this world people do this and cannabalism does exsist

Maggie said...

I agree with your cannibalism statement. People always say they wouldn't do things but when it is necessary to do it for you life, then you most likely going to do what you never expected to do. If you had a gun and somebody else had a gun to your face and you know for a fact that they are going to shoot, would you just sit there and get shot because it is immoral to kill another human being?

Also a pretty obvious example is the Donner Party. They weren't expecting to be trapped, but when they were they had no other survival choice but to eat the children. I bet not one of them had even thought that eating another human being was anywhere near alright before they started their adventure west.

Anonymous said...

It is surprising what people are capable of doing. I mean, even though we are only human, we are able to do anything. If we set our mind to an objective, we can accomplish that goal. I agree with you, Andrew, when you stated "that the book covered many cases of extreme human nature". One thing I thought was extreme was how strong the father and son were in order to survive the conditions they were put on to overcome. This is a great example to the audience for them to realize that someone should never give up. Especially if someone, like your child, depend on you for survival. I remember reading about how the child asked the father if they were ever going to eat other humans. It was so unbelivable to read about, and stunning to realize that it is possible. It is survival of the fittest. I do agree with you, Andrew. If we ever killed and rip a human apart, we wouldn't be us no more because madness would take over us. The father and son did pass by dead people, but they were too good to cook them up for their diner. They had rather find food in other ways.

Blog Archive