Sunday, August 7, 2011

McCarthy's The Road (Post 1, Question 6)


6. What other remarks might you have about the books? Questions? Observations? Reactions?

While I was reading The Road by Cormac McCarthy, I found one of the major themes of the novel to be "Good vs. Evil". For example, the Man and Boy call themselves "the good guys", and that they're "carrying the fire". In the book, the word fire is usually intended as a metaphor, usually used by the Man, to describe the small bit of good, hope, and happiness left on Earth, which is them. Since literal, physical fire can spread, I think the Man is hoping that they can change all bad and return the world to how it was before the apocalypse.
On the other hand, the cannibals in this post-apocalyptic society are the "evil" ones, who have given up on all of their previous morals and have done terrible things in order to survive.

I found it very interesting when the couple's themes of "being good guys" and "carrying the fire" collided. Since the Man's only goal for the rest of his life was to protect the Boy, they did whatever they had to do in order to survive and make it down to the South before winter, however, a number of these things involved doing terrible acts. For example, they left the Old Man by himself to die in the road. They even considered not feeding or talking to him at all. They didn't help the people trapped in the basement, being stored for meat.
But perhaps the most emotional of these events is when they caught the thief that stole their cart. Was the man really being the good guy when he made the starving "scrawny, sullen, bearded, filthy" thief strip naked in Winter, in revenge of stealing their items? They had to do anything to carry the fire, but they couldn't have helped a poor man not unlike them when they had a cart full of clothing and food? I felt really bad for the thief after the conversation between the man and boy:
"What do you want to do?
Just help him, Papa. Just help him.
The man looked back up the road.
He was just hungry, Papa. He's going to die.
He's going to die anyway.
He's so scared, Papa."

Was the Man doing bad or good when he left the thief, who had stolen all their food and clothes, out in the Road to die of the cold?

-Andrew Suzuki

3 comments:

Brad said...

Andrew, when you referred to the novel being Good vs. Evil you are absolutely correct. The man and the boy seem to be the only bit of Good left. I found it interesting when you said the man hopes to change all bad; I do not necessarily agree with that because even though they cary the fire, they can not shine light on everyone. Also there is no way to rebuild society from this apocalypse. I think the man is hoping they can change some bad who would then change other bad. As a ripple effect one sense.

Also I do recall when they left the Old Manto die. I would not say it was a terrible act because there was nothing they could do. Otherwise they would be putting themselves more at risk.

Now your question as to whether or not the man was doing bad or good when he made the thief strip naked; I do not agree with such harsh punishment, but I do not think the man realized the severity of what he did until they left. For the man it was a spur-of-the-moment. He was furious at the thief for taking his cart and that punishment seemed suitable at the time. So the man was in fact doing good in this moment of protecting what was rightfully his; but in hindsight the man did bad not realizing the repercussions involved

Andrew said...

Yeah, constantly throughout the book I wondered about the state of the world outside the east coast of the United States. Are there still experts in subjects like science, history, to help inform the new world of all knowledge...to rebuild...or just common men and women who had the strength to outrun the cannibals (assumably, a LOT more men than women) to rebuild with nothing more than basic knowledge?

Perhaps this is taking it too far; I mean the purpose of the book wasn't really for action/adventure, but more of meaning and symbolism. Who cares if an imaginary world made up by Cormac McCarthy will be able to rebuild itself to its previous state?

Lily said...

McCarthy's story truly conjured connections to other pieces of literature, one of which was Steinbeck's "East of Eden." As in "The Road," a main theme in Steinbeck's novel was that no one was all good or all evil. Brad is correct in saying that it seems that the boy is the only good left in the world. His innocence seems to protect him from realizing the necessity of (for instance) having to kill others in order to save himself. It could be that the boy was more his father's good conscience than anything, for the father truly listened to his worries and always made the 'right' decisions in the end. It's also interesting, though, to notice the change in the boy's mental state as he witnesses his father become 'less good' as their desperation grows. Still, the love between them never wavers despite the doubts the boy may have had.

Blog Archive