Tuesday, August 9, 2011

The Road ( post 1, question 5)

Due to the fact that McCarthy's style is dark and stark was what made the story what it is. It helped the story because it showed how human kind and the world become after the disaster, nobody would feel happy and talk in a cheerful way when they're in such situation. The style puts the mood in the story.

"She was gone and the coldness of it was her final gift."

The dark style showed the reader how the father felt and became after his wife left him with their son (which I think it would only be his son), you can tell that from that moment on his whole world became dark because of the abandonment and betrayal of his wife. There were times that he felt that everything was going okay and what made him feel that way was knowing that the boy is safe.
I think that the audience would be Those who often wonder about the what's next? They want to know what will be of us in the future. I also think that can be for any kind of audience since it kind of shows that you should maintain yourself strong and to not lose hope. An example of this would be that the son and the dad always said that they carry the fire and at the end the kid asked the man if they too were carrying the fire which I would say hope.
" How do I know you're one of the good guys?
You dont. You'll have to take a shot.
Are you carrying the fire?
Am I what ?
Carrying the fire.
You're kind of weirded out, arent you?
No.
Just a little.
Yeah.
That's okay.
So are you?
What, carrying the fire?
Yes. "

This is the way I look at it but i would like to know some one else point of view.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I totally agree with you on the point of this book being directed to a univeral audience. There were times where I did get the feeling of the book being directed to one audience but as the book went on it felt more of an "EVERYONE" audience. I felt a huge sense of keeping hope alive even when u have every reason not to. The part of the book that you quoted, when the little boy asked his father if they too were carrying the fire, was the part that really sold me on this book being directed to a universal audience. And it made me sure that the book spoke intensely on this theme, of staying strong and keeping hope no matter what, to , once again, a universal audience. So I agree with you 100%!

~Yulonda :-)

Maya Wilson said...

Hi again Cecilia and Hi Yulonda. I agree with the both of you. On how the novel was set up and such. This is my responce to the question, I believe that the audience is not the typical reader like you and I. Its addressed to a person in a situation such as this, or to someone who can just relate for someone else. The Road by McCarthy, he depicts the true feelings, emotions, and life style of any given bum. In this novel it shows the dark days of a sun and his father, who are constantly running away from people, who the reader does not know of. Just like in the real life of a bum, not everyone is kind hearted, and my have intentions to hurt them. Everything in the novel is shown through the atmosphere whether it is the colors: grey and black, the weather: rain, snow, and lightning, or the time of day: nightfall. All these things are a sign of hindrance and death. For instance one of the storms, "They stood in the downpour... He knew that the storm had taken out their tracks (The Road, 235)."
And if you agree with me when you can just put the word: "Like" (like how we do on FB) lol.

- Maya .

Cecilia said...

Hi Yulonda and Maya,
Did it ever occur to you that may be the father and the son were symbols in the story it's self. The father almost represented the past and the son represents the future, I notice this when the father gave the son the can of soda and the boy didnt know what it was. Then later when they saw the train the father was making train noises and he said that he didn't know what the boy would think about it. It's as it the father was teaching the son what he may never see again. The son only knew about what he is living right now. IDK this just came to my mind.

Anonymous said...

Maya:
("Like") lol

Cecillia:
Now that you mention it they do seem like they have some sort of symboic meaning to them. Because why cant it be two sons, or brothers, or uncles or somethng lol why a father and a son? Whats the meaning for that? A good explination like you said could be the father is the past and the boy is the future and that the son will only know about what he is living right now. But what if the father symolized whats old and the son symolizes whats new. Because think about it the father died and the boy is left, just like old America has burned out the Father has died and now its the son turn to "carry the fire" as the fathers said, or the new fire as I say. Do you kind of understand what im saying. Idk what do you think?

Cecilia said...

Yes Yulonda, I understand what you are saying and I agree with you. The father represents the old, everything that was before the destruction while the boy represents the new meaning after the destruction. the fathers death symbolizes what was lost in the destruction and like you said old America. The boy and the survivers are the new "generation " of a NEW America which they will understand and reconstruct. Now do you see where I'm getting at? :)

Blog Archive