3.In 1952 (when people still wrote letters to each other), Allen Ginsberg penned these words to Kerouac about the manuscript of On the Road: "I don't see how it will ever be published, it's so personal, it's so full of sex language, so full of our local mythological references, I don't know if it would make sense to any publisher." What is your reaction to this?
I think that Ginsberg was worried that the book wouldn’t be published because it was too real. Kerouac didn’t cover up any part of the early 1950s; he showed the dirty parts and the beautiful parts. Kerouac wrote a story about a lifestyle that, though common, was rarely spoken about. He was able to capture the time period in a book much like F. Scott Fitzgerald did with the Great Gatsby and John Steinbeck with Grapes of Wrath. The sexual language and the mythological references were all a part of this time period. Because the story was very open with its language, it became more personal and drew the reader in.
Kerouac’s writing defiantly challenged the beliefs of the early 1950 time period. At one point Sal wishes to be an African American exclaiming that the Caucasian world was not as exciting as the African American world. “At lilac evening I walked with every muscle aching among the lights of 27th and Welton in the Denver colored section, wishing I were a Negro, feeling that the best the white world had offered was not enough ecstasy for me, not enough life, joy, kicks, darkness, music, not enough night.”(Part 3, Ch. 1) There are a lot of reasons that the book could have been a failure, and if the story were written by any other author it probably would have been, but Kerouac’s amazing language and descriptive skill outshone the controversial views of his time period making the story a success.
Saturday, August 6, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Blog Archive
-
▼
2011
(456)
-
▼
August
(202)
- On the Road, Post 3, Question 2
- #4
- Question 7 (post 6)
- "Open Courses, Nearly Free"
- The Road Post 3 Question 6
- On the Road, Post 2, Question 1
- "Deciding to Die, Then Shown the Door"
- The Road, Post 2, Question 7
- On the Road, Post 1, Question 4
- “As Farmers’ Markets Go Mainstream, Some Fear a Glut”
- The Road, Post 1, Question 5
- Question 6 (post 5)
- Question 5 (post 4)
- the road
- On the Road- Question 4
- On the Road- Question 7
- On The Road- Question 1
- On the road post 1
- On The Road Post Three (Post Six)
- question 3 ( 3rd post "on the road" by kerouac
- question 6 (2nd post "on the road" by kerouac)
- question 4 ( 1st post "on the road" by jack kerouac )
- 3. In 1952 (when people still wrote letters to eac...
- On the Road (Question 3, Post 6)
- #3 Allen Ginsberg I agree with Allen. I don't und...
- The Road Post 3
- On The Road: Post 2
- The Road Post 2
- The Road Post 1
- <!--[if gte mso 9]> <![endif]--><!--[if gte...
- <!--[if gte mso 9]> <![endif]--><!--[if gte...
- On The Road 1
- On the Road -- The Catcher in the Rye
- On the Road -- What is the Road?
- On the Road -- Women
- On The Road:Post 3
- On The Road:Post 1
- On the Road (Post 3)
- On The Road (Question 1, Post 5)
- On The Road Post 2 (Post 5)
- On the Road- Post 3; Question 6
- The Road Post 3
- The Road Post 2
- Question 7. Post 6.
- Question 5. Post 5.
- Question 4. Post 4.
- The Road Post 1
- The Road (question 6, post 6)
- The Kids Are Not All Right
- Israel and Hamas Move to Restore Cease-Fire
- Woman= Sex Object On The Road, Post 1, Question 4....
- Hope! The Road, Post 3, Question 7 7. If every bo...
- Lost With the World... The Road, Post 2, Question ...
- All the King's Horses
- #1 On The Road
- 4. Consider both novels. What do you notice about ...
- McCarthy's women
- The Road (Question 7)
- The Road, Question 7
- What is your impression of Sal as a narrator? Reli...
- On The Road (Question 1)
- The Road (Question 4)
- On The Road (Question 7)
- Question 5: McCarthys style of writting
- McCarthy’s style of writing
- Can you tell Kerouac loved language?
- Question 6: Any other remarks and comments
- Question 4: treatment of women in both novels
- The Road (Post 3)
- 6. What other remarks might you have about the books?
- On The Road (post3,question6)
- 1. On the Road, while classified as fiction, is a ...
- 2. Can you tell Kerouac loved language? Reflect on...
- 4. Consider both novels. What do you notice about ...
- The Road - Post 3; Question 4
- Question #2
- Question #1
- Question #3
- The Road (Post 4, Question 4)
- On The Road: Post 2
- The Road: Post 3
- On The Road (Post 2)
- The Road: Post 2
- The Road: Post 1
- 7. If every book is an author's attempt to answer ...
- The Road, Post 2
- The Road (question 7, post 5)
- The Road (question 5, post 4)
- On The Road (Question 4)
- On the Road (Question 6, Post 2)
- Post 3 Question #4
- Question 4 Love or pathological lust? Part 1
- The Road, Post 1
- On The Road ( post 2, question 2)
- On The Road ( post 1, question 4)
- On the Road (Post 1, Question 7)
- The Road (Post 1, Question 5)
- The Road (Post 1, Question 5) 5. McCarthy's novel...
- The Road Q6 (Post 3)
- The Road Q5 (Post 2)
- The Road, Q4 (Post 1)
- Question 2 (Post 2)
- On The Road (Post 1)
- The Road (Post 3, Question 6)
- The Road (Post 2, Question 7)
- The Road (Post 1, Question 5)
- The Road Post 3
- 6. What other remarks might you have about the boo...
- Eric's OTR post that I deleted. oooops
- Question 1 (post 1)
- The Road- Post 2 Question #7
- The Road- Post 1 Question #6
- Question 2 (post 2)
- The Road - Post 2; Question 7
- One The Road - Post 2, Question 6
- The Road - Post 1, Question 5
- 5. McCarthy's novel is a stark contrast to Kerouac...
- 6. What other remarks might you have about the boo...
- 7. If every book is an author's attempt to answer ...
- The Road - Question 7
- The Road - Question 6
- The Road - Question 5
- The Road (post3,question4)
- Fight Harder, Voters Telling Congressmen
- Politicians and Protesters Assail British Police
- C.I.A. Is Disputed on Civilian Toll in Drone Strikes
- On the Road, Q4
- On the Road Q1
-
▼
August
(202)
6 comments:
I think that you did a really good job talking about how Kerouac's prose captures the spirit of the 1950s, and I especially liked the Fitzgerald and Steinbeck comparisons, because I really hadn't thought of Kerouac as verbalizing the the mood of his time, but he really shows the way the world is changing at the time. :)
His views are really controversial, but I thought that his descriptions of sex were the most controversial, because the 50s were more repressive than now.
I think that you did a really good job talking about how Kerouac's prose captures the spirit of the 1950s, and I especially liked the Fitzgerald and Steinbeck comparisons, because I really hadn't thought of Kerouac as verbalizing the the mood of his time, but he really shows the way the world is changing at the time. :)
His views are really controversial, but I thought that his descriptions of sex were the most controversial, because the 50s were more repressive than now. Now they seem kind of outdated. For example when he's hooking up with a girl named Rita, he says she is "tremendously frightened of sex. I told her it was beautiful." (51) He doesn't get specific about what he's doing, the way authors do now.
Sorry accidentally published it twice :)
I very much agree with everything you wrote here, and I think you captured the essence of the question beautifully.
Much like Sarah, I was stuck by your references to The Great Gatsby and the The Grapes of Wrath. Although I've only read The Grapes of Wrath, I imagine both of the books capture the time they are set in, in a way quite similar to how On the Road does. I think it's this realness that makes the book as intriguing as it is. Had Kerouac glossed over his life, making it less personal and more "appropriate," I do not think the book would have been nearly so interesting, nor would it as turned out to be as much of a success as it has ended up being
Like Maya said, you definitely got to the heart of this question. :)
I can't say it dawned on me that Ginsberg might have been afraid of the book being too real. Now that I've read your post, I realized just how true that is. The 50's were a very conservative time, and this book is far from conservative. Thanks for writing this! haha
I also agree with Maya, the question was well answered. I too agree with the fact that the fear of the book being published may have been due to the fact that the book is very real. It speaks freely on topics that may people of the time were afraid to talk about. I like the fact that you(Isabella) encorpereated references from other books as well.
Post a Comment