Sunday, August 7, 2011

On the Road: Post 2

3. In a letter to the author, Allen Ginsberg reportedly expresses his concerns about Kerouac's manuscript. Describing it as 'too personal'. He also worries that the amount of 'local refrences' would discourage publishers from backing the project because of the amount of background knowledge needed to understand the story. Although I do understand why Ginsberg had his reservations about the novel, especially in 1952 when such off-kilter writing was rarely seen, I truly believe that his way of writing is what caught the attention of publishers. As Sal describes his adventures back and forth across the States, I commend him for his honesty. Although I do think the way he describes some situations makes him seem as though he is a lot less mad than he really is, such raw emotion and experiences are something anyone who is picking up a book about an adventure would want to read.

1 comment:

JannyXObabey said...

I agree that his way of writing and the way he describes situations is what grabs the reader's attention and if it werent for that their really would be no reason for people to pick up the book and read it. The way he describes this is what makes you want to read more it grabs your attention...

Blog Archive