Thursday, November 17, 2011

Some Hopeful Signs for Jobs and Home Construction

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/18/business/economy/for-jobs-and-housing-some-hopeful-signs.html?_r=1&ref=economy

While this article happens to be the one for my group's topic, I would probably have picked it anyway. I like to consider myself a logical person, and the author(s) of this article appealed very strongly to logic. They make extensive use of recent, credible statistics, from places like the Labor Department, or the Federal Reserve. Doing this not only appeals to the logic of their readers, but establishes themselves and their support as highly credible. Through the use of such credible figures, the author(s) make their argument very strong.
One thing I found interesting was that the tone or purpose of the argument changes part of the way through the article. It starts off as very optimistic about the housing market and the economy in general, mentioning all of the ways in which the housing market is increasing, and what that signifies for the economy. However, they then switch, almost trivializing what they just said was so good, saying that it's not these gains aren't actually that significant. While this may have been a necessary thing, I find it odd how the article seemed to contradict itself in that aspect.

No comments:

Blog Archive