Sunday, November 27, 2011

Dont Know How? Well Find Someone Who Does

this article caught my attention a lot not only becuase of the tittle but because it dealt with phantom limb pain something that Mrs. Rod from psychology class taught. its deals with how some times people who get a hand,leg,finger or whatever part of their body amputated they still feel pain as if they still had their hand(leg,etc.). its some real crazy shit but the thing is that the people experience a lot of pain and they sometimes dont know what to do even when they are prescribed a certain drug that supposedly deals with the pain. Katherine Bomkamp of age 20, came up with the idea of the Pain Free Socket, which is a device that is intended to help ease the phantom limb pain that many amputees face constantly. she was inspired by her dad who is a disable Air Force veteran and stories of people who are in the same situation. the author of the article shows enthusiasm for Katherine and it also wants to encourage her audience to also try to invent something even if they dont have any idea of where to start. this is exactly what happened to Katherine, she didnt know where to begin because she didnt have any background on engineering or science; not only that but she was rejected by many places and people who she turned to for help. some even said that her idea wasnt even going to work and that she shouldnt waste her time. i find that really rude, i feel that adults should encourage and not make young people feel like they are useless. people should give it a shot to what they believe in. Katherine didnt give up and now she is just waiting for a patent and that her invention works so that it can help people but to also prove that she did it and she didnt give up.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I loved this article! In fact, I was planning on blogging about it until I saw it online. Anyways, I agree with you on the fact adults should focus their attention and affection to the yonger generation who are stuggling with this issue. I also feel like we should totally get involved with this, I mean, we are young and aspiring to do something..

Cecilia said...

agree :]

Anonymous said...

I remember this from one of Ms.Rod's lectures! Anyways, I agree with you and Paola. Adults should really focus on the next generation of young people. This is a major issue and a scary one two, in which some people are experiencing extreme pain and they don't know what to do. I am glad that there are people, like Katherine, that are not giving up. People should always keep hope in their lives.

Blog Archive