Thursday, November 17, 2011

Sandusky Scandal

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/11/12/penn-state-scandal-sandusky_n_1090203.html

From the title of this article, "Penn State Scandal: Sandusky Had Access to Vulnerable Kids Via Charity," I expected much more scandal than I received. The authors really turned away from the charity-as-ruse-for-whorehouse story the title suggests, and instead focused on how The Second Mile really is a great organization. The article interviewed a man whose rough childhood was turned around by The Second Mile. He is now getting his masters at University of Chicago after having fought in the Iraq War. The article also discusses how The Second Mile distanced itself from Sandusky after allegations of his pedophilia eight years ago, and closes by implying the Board of Directors for The Second Mile has been under a lot of fire.

I thought that was noble of the journalists. "Charity turned little boy prostitution ring" is definitely a better story than "This one pervert worked for this really great charity," so I thought it was good of them to round the audience's perspective of The Second Mile. Scandals rarely leave anything unscathed, and it's easier to feed that fire than combat it.

1 comment:

Henry said...

When your group talked in class, lots of people had gathered the best gossip. I'm glad that you were able to find a different viewpoint.

I discussed the scandal with my parents and I was glad to be able to curb the growing condemnation of the Second Mile that they were joining by referencing this article.

Blog Archive