Sunday, November 20, 2011

http://occupywallst.org/article/100-march-nypd-1st-precinct-demand-dignity-women/

This was an interesting piece to begin my journal with. As part of the group current event research project, we wanted to find one of the most biased sources available, so I chose the Occupy Wall Street website itself. The new source identifies this the movement, even taking its name (occupywallst.org). Therefore, going in, I was ready for a certain level of bias.

What first struck me was the opening. "Message from the protestors to NYPD:". I soon gleaned that, as the first line exemplified this site is more a tool for organizing the movement than reporting per se. Although many of the stories, like this one, were the accounts of actual events, some were simply messages from the protestors about coming protests and movements. Interestingly, however, even these were presented as reality, as they were all characterized as events that would take place ("Protestors will march on the subways.") This story was also made even more striking by the thread of comments at the bottom of the page. The many posts of different opinions accentuated the dizzying number of voices within the movement.

No comments:

Blog Archive