Then again, I think after 9/11 anything related to words such as bomb
or Qaeda grabs anyone's attention. (It certainly grabbed mine.) I
didn't even have to read the whole article to know what it was about
due to the title--it says it all. It is the intended purpose of the
title to do so.
After being under surveillance for almost two years, Jose Pimentel was
arrested on Saturday on charges of plotting to build and detonate
bombs in New York city. Okay. I already don't want to get to know this
guy. I mean, WHY would you want to bomb a city full of innocent
people? According to Raymond W. Kelly, Police Commissioner, Pimentel
planned to kill U.S. military personnel returning home from Iraq. He
maintained a Web site where he blogged about bomb-making discussions
from Inspire, the Al Qaeda magazine. He also idolized terrorists Osama
Bin Laden and Sadam Hussein.
I felt sorry for his mother, Carmen Sosa, who apologized to the people
of New York for her son. After being asked whether she believed her
son deserved his arrest, she said, "Deserve is a strong word. Justice
has to be made." I admire her for her courage to remain a loyal
mother, yet still disagree with her son's actions and beliefs and
stand with the law's side. I bet it's hard for her to stand against
her son in this particular situation, though. To know that your son
put innocent lives in danger must be terrible.
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/21/nyregion/jose-pimentel-is-charged-in-new-york-city....
1 comment:
It was great to see that the author included the mother's perspective in this piece. No one can really know the pain that Mr. Pimentel caused Ms. Sosa, but I can imagine, like you, that it was great. I'm glad that the humanity of the situation wasn't lost on the reporter; oftentimes patriotism (especially in America) will cloud the media's judgment in their delivery. The author's sensitivity certainly corroborated the argument that those who really know the suspect should be given a voice, too.
Post a Comment