Thursday, November 17, 2011

Naked: Plus Size Models in Magazines

http://www.stylelist.com/leona-palmer/naked-plus-models-in-maga_b_953005.html

I stumbled across this while I was trolling Huffpost. If I was ever going to model professionally (not that I'd ever have a chance), I would be a plus size model. That much I know. It's just the way I'm shaped. I can't help genetics and I don't really mind. Reading this, I was kind of shocked. I never really noticed that plus size models were usually shot (almost or completely) naked (editorially speaking) but then I thought about it and it's entirely true. Their bodies are only used for shock value. I don't know how I'd feel if my body was only shown to others for that reason, but "normal" models sell clothing and a body others feel they should be envious of.

The author looks act from a moral stand point. She's confused as to why this is and her article is to explore and investigate. "What's going on with all the curvy ladies going nude?" In order to explore, she asks a lot of compelling questions that get to the heart of issue at hand and she does an excellent job of answering those questions by pulling in the opinions and knowledge of other people. This is a completely different approach to this issue than the approach taken by the author of the other article I read this week. All the information was presented as if it were prior knowledge.

1 comment:

Sarah C. said...

I agree that it's really weird how models who look like real women are only used for shock value. It's no wonder that so many girls have eating disorders and cutting problems, because they feel like they can never compare. It's basically impossible to be born looking like that blonde from Transformers or Gisele, and it's really sad that our culture expects us to.

I really liked what you said about the author looking at it from a moral standpoint, because it really is a moral issue that our culture causes girls to hate their bodies.

Blog Archive