Sunday, November 27, 2011

Craven Political Crudites

I read the opinion article "Craven Political Crudites" by Frank Bruni in the New York Times. It criticized the ridiculous point politicians have reached in misquoting and skewing their opponents' words to say outlandish things. Particularly he discusses Mitt Romney, who recently grossly skewed a quote of Obama's to make him look uninterested in the economy. Romney was caught for it, and instead of retreating he embraced what he had done, refusing to apologize for amping up his campaign. Romney actually ended up looking better for this move, as it highlighted his personal high placement of the economy.
Bruni then talked about the broader set of ideals this is representative of. America only cares about how a product is sold, not the actual quality of the product. We go to brand names instead of buying the exact same products for less money.
I think this is a terrifying ideal system when put into the context of politics. Bipartisanship right now has reached a disgustingly toxic level. We are totally incapable of putting aside our team memberships to solve problems, and that is going to be injurious come this next election.

1 comment:

Zachary said...

The more I read and hear about the way our government and society work, the more disgusted I get. I honestly cannot comprehend how these politicians live with themselves when they can't even put aside their "team memberships" to actually do some good for this country. What you said here, and that article I feel really exemplify how idiotic our political system is getting. I also really like how the author referenced this issue to that broader one, about our love of brand names. It actually connects the two subjects really clearly for me. Just fyi, I'm not usually this activist-y, but honestly, i think it's gotten to a point where enough is enough

Blog Archive