Monday, October 10, 2011

Harkness questions

I loved the idea of restrictions and some of them were certainly helpful. However, as Chloe pointed out, they sometimes encouraged more focus on the limitations than on the content of the discussion. Perhaps, along the lines of the "You can only ask questions" restriction, each member of the class could come to Harkness with a single question that they would like to talk about. We could then go around the circle, posing our questions to the group. The discussion of the question would be allowed to run its course (perhaps either a time limit or topic limit could keep the length of these under control. The discussion would end with the asker of the question sharing their own thoughts about it. Each person would at least be allowed to ask their question and have a chance to respond to it themselves.

That said, I think placing such restrictions on the discussion may cause one to question if it is still, in fact, a Harkness or something else. Ideally, all the members of the class contribute equally to the discussion.


To people who were required to speak more: What can the group do to encourage your contribution to the conversation?

To people who were restricted to speak less: What can you do to give others the chance to add to the discussion?

Personally, I know I'd like to try just asking questions for a discussion. I think it'll help me focus my thoughts into a coherent, thought-provoking question.

No comments: