Friday, June 24, 2011

Gay Marriage Approved By New York Senate

(I hadn't realized that this never got posted, that's why the article is so old)

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/06/25/nyregion/gay-marriage-approved-by-new-york-senate.html?_r=1&hp

I just realized that the template for the news requirement of this assignment requests one to discuss the writing style of the author, and analyze how their decisions affected the overall tone. With this in mind, NICHOLAS CONFESSORE and MICHAEL BARBARO's article on the recent gay rights bill was hardly challenging, at least editorially. My somewhat newfound and not entirely complete news consumption habit has tought me a little about the thematic template a lot of newspaper writers subscribe to. Barbaro and Confessore's article, while interesting and informative does little to stray from this very beaten path. Personally, I don't think there's anything wrong with that. Posted on June 24 and printed for the following day, the authors had essentially a couple hours to pen a two page article. Naturally the sentence structure and syntax are not destined for inspiration or awe. Nonetheless, I think that for many this article could easily challenge their ideas, afterall gay marriage is an extremely controversial issue. Personally I could not be more pleased with this recent development, and thought this needed to be posted if only for celebration and less from an analytical standpoint. It's a huge breakthrough in the gay rights movement.

No comments: